A Gurpurab in Sikh tradition is a celebration of an anniversary of a Guru's birth marked by the holding of a festival.
There are indications in the old chronicles that the gurus who succeeded Guru Nanak celebrated his birthday. Such importance was attached to the anniversaries that dates of the deaths of the first four gurus were recorded on a leaf in the first recension of the Scripture prepared by the Fifth Guru, Guru Arjan.
Why do Guru Nanak celebrate the birth anniversary?
The Guru Parv or Prakash Parv celebrates the joy of the birth of Guru Nanak Ji. Nanak Gurudev, the first Guru of the Sikhs, was born on April 15, 1469, at the place of Talwandi (Rai Bhoi di Talvandi) of Rai Bhoi, now in Nankana Sahib (Nankana Sahib) located in the Punjab province of Pakistan. This place is named after Guru Nanak Dev Ji. There is also the famous Gurdwara Nankana Sahib (Gurdwara Nankana Sahib), which is considered to be the famous religious place of the Sikhs. People from all over the world come to see this guru. Tell us, King Maharaja Ranjeet Singh (Maharaja Ranjit Singh) of the famous Sikh Empire, named Sher-E-Punjab, had constructed Gurdwara Nankana Sahib.
Who was Guru Nanak?
Guru Nanak was the founder and first Guru of the Sikh community. They laid the foundations of Sikh society only. Their followers call them Nanak Dev Ji, Baba Nanak, and Nanakshah. Right here, in Ladakh and Tibet, they are called Nanak Lama. Guru Nanak Ji spent his entire life in the service of humanity. He also preached and not only in India but also in Afghanistan, Iran and Arab countries. Their journey in Punjabi is called 'sadness'. His first 'sadness' was in October 1507. From 1515. Till then At the age of 16, he married a daughter named Sulkkhan, and the two boys became the father of Srichand and Lakhmidas. He died in a hospice at Kartarpur (now in Pakistan) in 1539 AD. Before his death, he declared his disciple Bhai Lahna the successor, who later became known as Guru Angad Dev. Guru Angad Dev only became the second guru of Sikhism.
The teachings of Guru Nanak
1. God is one. He exists everywhere. We all have "father" and therefore everyone should be loving with them.
2. Staying tension free, you should continue to do your work and should always be happy.
3. Guru Nanak Dev considered the entire world as a house, whereas people living in the world have a share of family.
4. Abandoning any kind of greed and earning money by working with their hands and in justifiable methods.
5. Never should anyone snatch the right, but should also give something to the needy from earning hard work and honesty.
6. People should give the message of love, unity, equality, brotherhood and spiritual light.
7. Money should be restricted to pocket. He should not make room in his heart.
8. Respect for gender and gender. They all considered men and women alike
9. It is very important to win over your own disorders before winning the world.
10. Ego does not allow a human to become human, so ego should never be done, but humble should live life through service.