Nahargarh Fort stands on the edge of the Aravalli Hills, overlooking the city of Jaipur in the Indian state of Rajasthan. Along with Amer Fort and Jaigarh Fort, Nahargarh once formed a strong defense ring for the city
Located in the Pink City of Jaipur is the Nahargarh Fort, which is one of the many countless palaces and beautiful historic buildings that speak of the magnificent and rich history of this city. Embellished with delicate carvings and stonework, the Nahargarh Fort is an impregnable fortification that together with its two neighboring forts, Amer Fort and Jaigarh Fort, once stood as the strong defense of Jaipur city. Standing tall on Aravalli Hills, the Fort was built by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II in the year 1734 as a retreat.
Nahargarh Fort is located around 6 KM outside the city of Jaipur. The best way to reach a destination is to hire a cab. Even autos go till the fort entrance. There are shuttles also available from the foot of the hill.
Near By Attraction
City Palace Jaipur
Hawa Mahal Jaipurbr
Statue Circle Jaipur
Birla Temple Jaipur
Hotels available nearby Jal Mahal
The distance between Jaipur Railway Station and Nahargarh Fort is 3.1 miles or 2.7 nautical miles
The distance between Jaipur Bus Stand and Nahargarh Fort is 5 miles or 4.3 nautical miles
Application Availability Which Saves Some Money
Interesting facts about the Nahargarh Fort
Nahargarh means ‘abode of tigers’. Legend says that the fort was named as Nahargarh after the spirit of a Rathore, Nahar Singh. When the construction of the fort started a strange phenomenon occurred.
One of the main attractions in the premises of the Nahargarh Fort is the Madhavendra Bhavan, which is a magnificent hall designed with intricate murals and stucco work. Nahargarh Fort was primarily used as a retreat for the ladies of the royal household and has a ladies quarters by the name of 'Zenana'.
Nahargarh Fort was built for defense purposes but it was never attacked by enemies. The field guns stationed at the fort were never used for war but to indicate time through firing.
During the Great Uprising of 1857, the then ruler of the region Sawai Ram Singh provided protection to many Europeans who were moved to the fort.