Shalimar Bagh is a royal Mughal Garden that lies along the right bank of Dal Lake in Srinagar. Spread across a total area of 31 acres, it is the largest among the three Mughal Gardens in the city. The name of this garden literally means 'abode of love', which is supported by the fact that it was built by Emperor Jahangir for his loving wife Nur Jahan. Laid in 1619, this garden was originally named Farah Baksh that means delightful on translation. The architecture and landscaping of this garden draw inspiration from the Persian Chahar Bagh. It is segregated into three terraced portions, each serving a different purpose. The outer portion of the garden is named Diwan-i-Aam that was open to the public, whereas the central portion named Diwan-i-Khas was exclusively for the emperor. Its uppermost portion was designed for women belonging to the royal family. The garden is encompassed by tall trees of chinar and is dotted with colorful flowers. A beautiful canal with polished pebbles runs through the center of this garden and adds to its beauty.
While the recent history and development of the Mughal types of gardens are credited to Emperor Jahangir, the ancient history of the garden can be traced to the 2nd century when it was built during the reign of Pravarsena II. Praversena II founded the city of Srinagar and ruled in Kashmir from 79 AD to 139 AD. He had built a cottage for his stay at the northeastern corner of the Dal Lake and had named it Shalimar. The word Shalimar in Sanskrit means 'abode of love'. The king, on his visits to a local saint by the name Sukarma Swami at Harwan, used to stop at this cottage. Over the years, the cottage fell into ruins and later could not be located. However, the name of the place remained as Shalimar. It is here that Emperor Jahangir built his celebrated Shalimar Bagh, his dream project to please his queen. He enlarged the ancient garden in 1619 into a royal garden and called it 'Farah Baksh' ('the delightful'). He built it for his wife Nur Jahan ('light of the world'). In 1630, under Emperor Shah Jahan’s orders, Zafar Khan the governor of Kashmir extended it. He named it ‘Faiz Baksh’ ('the bountiful'). It then became a pleasure place for the Sikh governors of the province.
Best TimeThe best time to plan a visit to Shalimar Bagh is either during Spring or Autumn Season (mid-February to mid-April and September-October). It is the time when the flowers are in their full bloom and Chinar trees change their colour from green to orange and yellow giving a warm glow to the garden.
opening and closing time
09:00 am – 07:00 pm (Open all days, except Friday) Visit Duration:2 to 3 hours
Entry Fee:Rs. 10 per Person
It is here that Emperor Jahangir built his celebrated Shalimar Bagh, his dream project to please his queen. He enlarged the ancient garden in 1619 into a royal garden and called it 'Farah Baksh' ('the delightful'). He built it for his wife Nur Jahan ('light of the world'). It is also famously known as the 'Shalamar Gardens'. The gardens are part of the Mughal era which was completed in a record time of 1 year in 1642. The credit of the place goes to the then Emperor Shah Jahan who was known for his love for nature and construction.
Near By Attraction
Gupta Ganga Temple Dal Lake Shalimar Bagh Hazratbal Shrine Cheshmashahi Garden
Application Availability Which Save Some Money
Zomato ,Swiggy(best service for delicious food) Uber,Ola(best service available for cab upto 24/7 hours)
Interesting facts about Shalimar Bagh
Building riverfront rather than fortress gardens influenced later Mughal garden architecture considerably. Akbar's son, Jahangir, did not build as much, but he helped to lay out the famous Shalimar garden and was known for his great love for flowers. The top terrace of the Shalimar garden was reserved for the Mughal Emperor and the royal ladies of the court. In fact, the top terrace was the most wonderful one out of all the terraces. The terrace has a tank with a black stone pavilion in its middle. The pavilion, which once served as a banquet hall, is supported by fluted pillars made up of black marble.